Saturday, November 3, 2007

Expensive Bonsai For Sale


For most of us, these old, established bonsai trees for sale are just a dream. But they are still nice to look at.

This one is a Dwarf Black Olive, native to the Caribbean and parts of Florida. Not the edible olive that we all know and love but does produce a small, black seed capsule. And this gorgeous specimen is 46 years old...and it is on sale for $1000!

Well beyond my means, but I can certainly appreciate the effort and care that went into creating just the right shape for the tree. I would have had to start the seed when I was 14. But that's part of the allure. You can actually own a tree that's seen more history than you have.

Here's another one that is tempting me.


Isn't that just the prettiest thing you've ever seen? $1500, but wow! It's a Buttonwood (conocarpus erectus, if you are technically minded, which I am not.) This old gent is somewhere between 50 and 75 years old.

With my budget I set my sites on an occasional $160 juniper bonsai or Chinese elm, and get my big thrills by looking at pix!


No comments: